Keep Your Desert Boots in the Best Shape with These 5 Tips
If you are on your feet a lot a work, you know how important it is to have good work boots and to keep those combat boots, desert boots or steel toe boots in the best shape possible. You need your boots to be in good shape to protect your feet. When accidents result in foot injuries at work, the Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that 70% of the time the person who was hurt was not in compliance with the rules for footwear at work. Properly maintaining your boots is a big deal. It has been estimated that the typical person will walk 10,000 steps every day. By contrast, a construction worker or a day laborer walks more than triple that. This means work is a lot easier if your feet are happy.
5 Tips to Help You Get the Best Experience Wearing Your Desert Boots:
- Always wear good socks. Desert boots will not be comfortable boots if you are not wearing socks to pad your feet. You can wear any kind you find the most comfortable and that offer your feet both cushioning to ask as a shock absorber and to protect your feet from the boot itself. These can be made from acrylic, nylon, cotton or polyester. Some socks have added cushioning and you may want to look into layered socks that runners often use because they can prevent you from getting blisters. If you need more support, consider custom made insoles.
- Get the right size. This is such an important point that it cannot be over emphasized. You should be able to put your index finger between your heel and the back of the boot. The boots should be snug at the widest point of your foot but not too tight. When you are trying the different desert boots on, take some time to walk around the store and get a feel for how they fit while you are walking. Wear the socks you plan to wear at work while you are trying on the boots. This also makes a big difference.
- Break your desert boots in the correct way. Some people say that you can break in your boots by soaking them in water or by baking them in an oven. These are NOT the ways that any boots should be broken in. The best way to break in your boots is to wear them and walk around with them on. That is the only way to really get used to new books and to break them in. If you know you are going to need new boots, buy them at least a month before you plan to wear them at work. You will need time to break them in before you wear them all of the time.
- Have several pairs of work boots. When you find boots that fit well and are comfortable, you should buy at least two pairs. This will allow you to rotate your boots as you need to. You should let your boots dry out completely between wearings. When you have at least two pairs of desert boots, you will extend the lifespan of the boots and make your feet more comfortable. You may want to buy more than two pairs of boots you find comfortable and that you know fit you so you can break them in long before you need to rely on them every day.
- Take care of your desert boots. At the end of the day, clean any mud off with a stiff brush. Use warm water to get rid of any mud or other grime that you have gotten on your boots during your day. This will keep the leather from drying out and will extend the lifespan of your boots. You should not use any kind of soap on your boots, all that they need to be cleaned is the warm water.
Workers and others tend to ignore their feet unless they really hurt or there is some other problem. You can protect your feet and be more productive by buying the right boots and then taking good care of them. Your feet will thank you.