Need New Sheets? Here Are 9 Reasons to Look at Linen
People all over the world love the feel of linen. Linen is made from flax and is considered to be stronger than similar fabrics such as cotton. It is also one of the oldest fabrics in the world. Its use has been traced back nearly nine thousand years. Counties along the Mediterranean were known to grow flax. In Egypt, people loved to use linen, which they called, “Woven Wind.” Historians have put their use for the fabric at about 2000 BC. Today, linen remains a very popular fabric for clothes and bedding. If you are looking at bedding, linen bed sheets should be checked out.
Reasons to Look at Linen Bed Sheets:
- Linen bed sheets tout a light massage type effect. There are tiny breaks in the weaving of the fabric of the linen. This makes the sheets feel as if they are giving you a tiny massage. This makes these bed sheets really comfortable and cozy.
- It gets softer every time you wash it. The University of Milan did research into how people sleep on linen bed sheets. This study found that people are more likely to fall into a deeper, more restful sleep when they have linen bed sheets on their beds.
- It is healthy. Linen is unique in a lot of ways, It is antibacterial. It can suppress bacteria, fungi and micro flora. People with allergies can really benefit from sleeping on linen bed sheets. The fact that the surface of the linen is not perfectly smooth, it can help promote blood flow. This is also great for promoting relaxation and giving people a better, more restful sleep. Moreover, people who participated in the study woke up in a better mood than people who slept on other kinds of sheets.
- It is very breathable. Linen bed sheets will keep you and your family warm in the winter months and nice and cool during the hot summer. This is a main reason a lot of people enjoy sleeping on organic linen sheets. Many people in the United States have a hard time sleeping. Being comfortable in bed is a big plus when it comes to getting a good night’s sleep and a big part of that is being the right temperature.
- Linen is very absorbent. It can absorb up to 20% of its weight in moisture before that becomes noticeable. This is one of the reasons it is such a popular fabric is so popular and why people love the feel of linen bed sheets.
- It is a lot stronger than other fabrics for sheets. As was noted, linen is a lot stronger than cotton. When it gets wet, it only gets stronger. This means linen bed sheets will last you a lot longer than sheets made from other fabrics. People who own linen sheets say they can last up to 20 years or even longer when properly taken care of.
- This is a very environmentally friendly fabric. The flax that is used to create the fabric is biodegradable. This is a very renewable resource. The seeds are used to make the fabric and then for other things such as paint and linseed oil. Flax also does not need irrigation. By buying linen, and not cotton, bed sheets, you will reduce your carbon footprint. Flax as been called one of the andldquo;optimal materials for America,” by the site, TreeHugger.com. People all over the world use linseed oil because it is rich in Omega 3 oils, which are very good for your health.
- Linen bed sheets keep their shape. Linen can be washed without the fabric stretching and losing its shape. This makes the linen bed sheets even more luxurious. They look and feel amazing.
- It feels luxurious. If you like to go to sleep drenched in luxury, you cannot beat the feel of linen bed sheets. There is nothing like sleeping in between two pure linen bed sheets. No bed sheets can beat the feel of linen bed sheets.
In a lot of ways, linen is a unique and interesting fabric that is good for people’s health and for the environment. There are a lot of reasons that picking linen bed sheets for your home and to promote your family’s health and comfort.